Nominations for the 2021 Maryland Sustainable Growth Awards
Presented by the Maryland Department of Planning
The Maryland Sustainable Growth Awards celebrate significant achievements by individuals, businesses, organizations and local governments to realize the 12 planning visions adopted by the Maryland General Assembly. The annual awards promote exemplary work that represents or inspires collaboration, innovation, conservation, community impact and quality of life.
The annual awards are presented by the Maryland Department of Planning (Planning) and are the highest level of recognition for managed growth and development in the state. The 2021 Sustainable Growth Awards will be presented at the ninth annual Maryland Sustainable Growth Awards Ceremony.
Leadership and Service
Awards presented for leadership and service recognize individuals, organizations, agencies, and institutions, as well as students for laudable activities or accomplishments in Maryland that advance the public’s appreciation, understanding, and/or involvement in promoting well planned economic and community development and sustainable communities at the local, regional, or state level. The activity or service can be related to a specific project or advocacy effort or recognize leadership or involvement with one or more activities or organizations. Examples of nominees include elected officials, local government staff, student groups, nonprofit organizations, members of the local business community, etc. The activity or service must be ongoing or have been completed within the last two years. Nominations will be evaluated on the extent to which an individual and/or organization’s contributions have significantly advanced the public’s appreciation, understanding, and/or involvement in well planned economic and community development and sustainable growth, or preservation and resource protection in Maryland.
Awards presented for sustainable communities recognize outstanding achievements by individuals, organizations, government agencies, and other entities for projects and activities of all sizes, scopes, and on all types of properties. The project/activity submitted embodies, results in, or encourages development that addresses at least one of the 12 Visions.
Successful nominations will likely address at least several of the 12 Visions. All nominated projects must have been completed within the last two years. The Commission will evaluate nominations in two broad groups – public projects and programs, and private developments.
Nominations will be evaluated to the extent which a project is:
- Effective – What are the goals of the project and is there tangible evidence of success?
- Collaborative – What public outreach and community involvement has occurred and how did it influence the project?
- Innovative – Does the project or activity take a new approach or present new ideas for others to apply elsewhere?
- Responsive to environmental and community Impact – Does the project or activity improve the environment or the quality of life in the community?
Preservation/Conservation Project awards are presented to individuals, organizations, government agencies, and other entities for their accomplishments in protecting or improving farms, forests, natural resources, and the waters of Maryland. This award recognizes outstanding efforts to:
- Save Maryland’s farm and forest land, promoting environmentally sound farming practices, and supporting a sustainable future for farms;
- Promote habitat management and wildlife conservation; and
- Protect the environment and advancing conservation practices.
- All nominated projects must have been completed within the last two years.
Nominations will be evaluated on the extent to which the project:
- Directly or indirectly benefits agricultural preservation, wildlife, natural resource conservation, or environmental protection;
- Collaboratively involves public and private organizations; and
- Serves as an example/inspiration to others.
- Individuals (including students), nonprofit and for-profit organizations or institutions and federal, state and local agencies are all eligible to receive a Maryland Sustainable Growth Award.
- Current Planning staff and projects solely sponsored by Planning are not eligible.
- Self-nominations are accepted.
Review and Selection Process
All nomination materials are reviewed for completeness by Maryland Planning Department staff prior to presentation to the award committee. The committee then recommends the award recipients to the Secretary of Planning for consideration and final approval.
To nominate a project, organization or individual for a Sustainable Growth Award, complete the downloadable nomination form (Word document) and submit electronically to Chuck Boyd or Cassandra Malloy by no later than Friday, July 23, 2021. For more detailed information, download the nomination brochure.